LOOK WHAT I GOT!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

NoneeLlama
Killer
Killer

Post by NoneeLlama » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:14 am

Wow, you guys have a lot of cool Alice goodes. Comparing those to my collection, I can say that "I Got a Long Way To Go" (sorry for that, I just couldn't resist :x )

How much value have an Along Came A Spider digipack album that was trodden at an Iron Maiden concert? :rotfl:
To Stamp... To Kick... To Spit... That's what a good llama does!

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:14 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:Wait.....Alice and......the Power Puff girls?!

:rotfl:
:rotfl:

Cool collections! I've never been much of a collector. I have just bits and pieces that I got along the years. Just a few vinyl albums, magazines or posters. And of course my "fan wall of fame" I've already posted a photo of the stuff I "snatched" at concerts (picks, balloons, dollar notes etc)

I never list my items, mostly because I've been earning a living with making data bases for the past 15 years, I and I am sick to death with lists and data bases!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:41 pm

oooooohhh...... if we send you our lists, then you can put them in an access database file and then link it to a dynamic web page. that would be sweet.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Aaaaargh! Do you really want my death then? :grin:

It's not for nothing that I am trying to do more freelance illustration!

I'm surprised no one came up with a clever idea for such a thing. What with all the thousands of collectors in the world. You know some sort of online gallery like Flickr? Come to think of it a Flickr group would already cover part of the needs?
You can tag items and file them easily into sets, etc... share them in a group etc...

:bam: oh boy, I just looked at the clock! I know I got up late but how come it's already 4pm? !! Back to work Dragonlady, no forums anymore today!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 pm

i like the idea of you doing it. it would be great. let's say someone wants to know how many people own copies of me, alice. you could make a search function for the database and have it pull up all collectors who own that, then we could click on those collectors and see their entire collections. oh, the possibilities are endless. get to work!

runarh73
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by runarh73 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:19 pm

it would be great to have some collectors corner..
there are so many cool items out there, and to have it all in one place is a great idea...
but i think sickthings is the place for it its the best cooper site and could get even better with a collectors page..

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 pm

You know some 5 years ago I might have done this. It's a cool idea. But now I have to concentrate on my freelance career and use most of my freetime for this.

What you need is a tool that would be open to members, it would be a lot of work for just one person. There are Oracle based tools that can be accessed directly on the web and updated by a group of people. Or a php DB, I have no experience with these though. But I can't think of one that would do the trick here. Maybe someone else has an idea? Maybe there is there a possibility to integrate it with the ST site?

I now I must heed my own admonishement and get off this computer! Yes get to work, but on the drawing table lazy Dragonlady!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 pm

i actually own the domain: alicecoopercollecting.com. not sure what i'm going to do with it at the moment.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:15 pm

Just had a quick google search. There are solutions like: http://www.coghead.com/ but you have to pay to use them.

I can only see this working as a group site, where each user enters his own data, that would quickly become way to big for one person to handle especially as a hobby!

I've also asked around on other boards to see if anyone has such experience.

I wonder how Renfield keeps track of his collection... Access? FileMaker? :grin:

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:28 am

he doesn't. i've seen it first hand. he doesn't.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:54 am

:rotfl: ok I can imagine this. Kind of like my filing system at home :p

I had an answer on that other board. Some people have been attempting to come up with such a software, but like I said it's can be really time consuming and they haven't done it yet.

We've also been considering the Flickr option. I mean it would be better then nothing?

For instance, if all collectors had a personal Flickr gallery (with only photos of their collection) and tagged each photo with keywords from a common list (to uniformise things). Then you create a Flickr group to which members can post their best items, and link back to their galleries.
The search engine might not be good enough, but for simple searches it might work?
If you had keywords, starting for instance with AC- it would make the search easier etc...

There is also a forum function in groups to allow discussions and state general rules.

It would need for everyone to be precise in their descriptions but it would at least work?

I'm trying to think if Flickr rules would be against somethign like this, but as long as you don't do something commercial it should be fine?

I love Flickr because it's so easy to organise a gallery, you can just drag and drop your images into sets, and group the sets in "collections". Very good tool

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:10 pm

big problem. when you have literally HUNDREDS of items like myself, there's no way i could take photos of everything. i have a lifesize billboard and is stored folded in small sections. that would be very difficult to take a photo of.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Just plaster it back up over another existing billboard and take the photo. Simple. Problem solved.
Me = Winning

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Or take a picture of each small section and then piece it together using Photoshop or a similar program.

Problem solved.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:32 pm

uh, yeah. they're all folded up very neatly. i would need a very clean tennis court to unfold it all. it's for the 77 australian welcome to my nightmare tour!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm

i would need a very clean tennis court to unfold it all.
Well then what are you waiting for?

Devon.... ALWAYS Serving Love.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:46 pm

you're a pain. ok, maybe i'll do it. the person i got it from, who lives in australia, sent me a photo of it all laid out. but, i have since lost that photo and that was 10 years ago and i don't have their contact info anymore.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:51 pm

Okay, in hindsight, I suppose all of that would be a little over the top and could cause damage to the billboard. For good measure, would a description be okay?
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:58 pm

HUGE

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:58 pm

Maybe you could have "generic" images for such things? Some random image to fill the space where the photo should go, and then the description underneath? With all the proper tags?