Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

alice's 'first' blog

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:15 pm

My First Blog by Alice Cooper

Wow, my first blog. I thought a blog was some new monster in a Pixar film. Apparently it's not. Learn something new every day.

Anyway, we've just finished the Summer 2009 European tour, the final performances of the Psycho Drama show, which has really been a fun show to do.

As most of you probably know, this tour started off in a pretty bad way, with the sad news of the unexpected death of my longtime assistant, archivist and friend Brian Nelson. I don't want to dwell on it, but after 28 years it has been a truly shocking thing for him to be gone so suddenly. Every night, at some point, one of us still forgets for a minute and thinks he should be "right there" doing something. And he's not.

But the show must go on, and it did, all across Russia.

And when I say all across Russia, I mean you haven't lived til you've seen Vladivostok. And Khabarovsk. And Krasnoyarsk (which is in SIBERIA). And Ekaterinburg. And Rostov-on-Don (that means it's on the Don river). And Ekaterinburg is named after Catherine The Great. Not to be confused with Calico The Great, a true princess if ever there was one. Khabarovsk, we learned, is about 12 miles and just across a river from CHINA. The MANCHURIA part of China! We went to the local Chinese market for some cheap shopping fun. Vladivostok is also close to the Chinese border but even more amazingly, it's just a short drive to the NORTH KOREAN border -- and we were there just when all the nuclear tests and missile-firing were in the news. We could hear the sabre-rattling in the hotel. They don't get a lot of Americans through Vladivostok, except maybe some spies. Which is probably why we were invited to an American-style BBQ at the US Consulate's townhome complex, and the whole band and crew had a blast meeting our government's team there. A special thanks to Patricia from the consulate for having enough spare Sprite Zero and Caffeine Free Diet Coke to give me some, since you can't buy it yet anywhere in Russia.

The show in Novosibirsk was cancelled when the stage's roof structure collapsed, destroying the rigging and trussing that supports the lights and sound. There just wasn't time to repair and/or replace that stuff in Novosibirsk, which, by the way, is in SIBERIA. Which explains why there wasn't any replacment equipment available.

The shows were great, the crowds fantastic. We were touring with our old friends The Scorpions and our new Finnish friends The Rasmus, plus Kingdom Come. We all traveled together on one big Russian charter jet, but don't ask anyone about the terrifyiing sudden drop during the storm flying from Khabarovsk to Vladivostok, followed by the scary non-landing in Vladivostok and flight all the way back to Khabarovsk, where we had to land because we were running out of fuel. What should have been a late night 70 minute flight endd up taking over twelve hours!!!! The things we do for rock and roll.

Unfortunately, the Kiev and Minsk shows got postponed until November, so we took an unexpected four days off in Oslo before playing the Skaanevik Blues Festival. Yes, a Blues Festival, followed by the Montreux Jazz Festival. Two shows in ten days made for a lot of pent-up energy, and both shows were amazing. The crowds were so intense, it made for an even better show. Maybe we should have played some blues or some jazz...or maybe not.

The final weekend in Europe was a great festival Belgium and then a trip to Cyprus, an island in the Mediterranean that doesn't get many shows. It's so close to Lebanon, Israel, and Syria!! Limassol is a lively beach town on the Mediterranean with sun and sand and boats and nightlife. And one of the seriously best steaks I've ever eaten in my life, at the new Columbia Steak House there. But more than that, the crowd was unbelievable! As it was the final performance of "Psycho Drama," we gave it our all, and the audience gave it right back. We did "House of Fire" for them, even though the band guys had never performed it live before (except maybe Jimmy, we're not sure). What a way to end a tour!

This whole blog thing is new to me, but I need to find out if we can add some photos, because you won't believe the practical joke we played on the Scorpions onstage in Krasnoyarsk.

I'll let Calico tell you that one, and more, because this blog thing is really From The Inside, from all of us -- we're even gonna let the band and crew contribute, which even I will want to read...or maybe I should be afraid, very afraid.

So...see you on the Theatre of Death tour, coming at you soon, with something like 75 shows planned across the USA, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Europe over the next five months. And hopefully to Canada, South America and beyond in 2010.

Like the saying goes, "they keep killing me, and I keep coming back." I wouldn't have it any other way!

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: alice's 'first' blog

Post by Parish » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Thats great and sad all at once...

Where is this from?

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:39 pm

It's in the "From The Inside" section of the revamped alicecooper.com.

You have to have signed up to the new site to read it.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Brilliant insight. Looking forward to more!
...And personally, I don't care.

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 pm

:clap: Thanks Matt.....I guess I better get signed up . :alice:
I like this blogging thing !
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 pm

hopefully it will be updated throughout the tour. they better let me blog. i got lots to say!!!

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 pm

:clap: And we want to hear it !
Type away....we are watching. :rock:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 pm

i'm sure i won't get to. they know i'd say mean things and make people cry. :evil:

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:06 pm

mattcoddington wrote:i'm sure i won't get to. they know i'd say mean things and make people cry. :evil:
:rotfl: :rotfl: Well Matt....you make me laugh...

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 pm

feedback on the blog? what would you like to see discussed? who do you want to blog? feedback!

Jacknife_Johnny
Killer
Killer

Post by Jacknife_Johnny » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:18 pm

Great post Matt, and cool photos too!
:alice:
I would never join a club that would have me as a member!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 pm

more surprises to come.

however, without feedback, that means no one can bitch about the site! you were asked and nobody spoke up. fans are always quick to complain and moan after the fact. so you can't point your finger at us this time. you were asked!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:25 am

sparkinthedark wrote:It's in the "From The Inside" section of the revamped alicecooper.com.

You have to have signed up to the new site to read it.
I'm not signed up and I can read it.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:32 am

anyone can read it. but you have to sign up to get emails when something new is posted.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:02 am

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by 'feedback', however, I was at that site (looking up tickets) and I joined the newsletter and site (etc... of course!) and read this while I was there..

As far as 'feedback' goes: I think this blog is a great idea. It takes him/them into 'today's' world and keeps him/them 'up to date', opening up a world of new listeners and fans. Face it: very few moms and dads 'blog'.. but younger ones do: today, the computer, texting and IM'ing is almost primary communication for the young, while we might use those methods - it's not primary! Not for me, at least!

I liked the blog: It was sad to read of the loss of Renfield...it was just really sad to see it again...but at the same time, I was surprised by the 'wonder' of the locales and proximities that was expressed. I thought it was amazing given the amount of years he's spent traveling the globe.

I'm continually impressed by the wonder expressed by those who've been in their profession/vocation for what seems a lifetime and still find wonder, irony and awe in it..

I'd love to read something from Calico in the future.

Great idea, love it!

BD
Last edited by BellaDonna on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:07 am

perfect. noted. thank you.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:24 am

Welcome! :)
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 am

You can also simply subscribe to the blog in your RSS feed reader. I use Flock for these things at the moment. But there are plenty other options.
Saves you a lot of time.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:54 am

I'd love to know where he is playing golf in each city, particularly in Siberia!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:08 pm

if i get my way, golf will never be mentioned on the site at all.